J.L. Carr and Stocken Farm

You may also like...

6 Responses

1. Dan says:

Impressive story, nicely told too Ian. I hope you can update when you have found out which side of the border the field is on. I think you can be confident that you have solved this.

Reminds me that the film of A Month in the Country was one of my favourites from my mid 80s teenage years

2. David Stanton says:

One of my favourite books. I reread it every 2-3 years and have “googled’ Stocken. Presteigne every time for the past 8(?) years. Now I have an answer. Thank you very much

3. ruth white says:

HI We now live at Stocken Farm – but I still dont know whether the top orchard is in herefordshire or radnorshire!

4. Ashley Nunn says:

Just reread A Month in the Country after quite a few years and still love it. I went to school in Kettering, and have always been a JLC fan. I now live about 3 miles from Presteigne and have just Googled Stocken, after noticing the mention at the conclusion of the story,and found this. I shall hunt the farm out. I did speak to JLC briefly on the phone when ordering books for Ottakar’s in Hereford, asking him to sign a book for me but, as is the way, was too shy really to tell him too much of how I admired his work.
    Cheers

5. Gareth B says:

Just finished re-reading one of my favourite books A Month In The Country, for the umpteenth time, and came here after a google search. Fascinating, thanks for your detective work! Recently visited the church they used for the filming in Radnage, worth a visit if you’re in the area.

6. Jennie B. says:

I have just read ‘A Month in the Country’ for the first time and really enjoyed it. I think the review I came across was in the Waitrose newspaper last month and I ordered the book from my local library. I am pleased to find the description of Stocken Farm here as it is an interesting story. Thank you for making notes about it.